Anyone that knows me, knows that anything related to cake is my absolute weakness. However, cake is a great source of white carbs and processed sugars. So, I found an alternative to satisfy my sweet tooth!
These brownies are paleo, gluten free, dairy free and loaded with coconut and dark chocolate. They are made with coconut flour which is lower in carbs and has more fibre than regular white flour. Most important factor – from start to finish they took 30 minutes!
I can’t take all the credit for these, I adapted the recipe from Ambitious Kitchen!
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 2/3 cup of maple syrup – the real stuff, nothing with corn syrup
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (I used the almond/coconut version)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 teaspoon sea salt
- 5oz of dairy free chocolate, feel free to add/subtract based on your preference (Whole Foods has a few options, Bulk Barn has a chocolate compound)
- 1/4 cup of coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grease a non-stick baking pan with coconut oil, I used a 7 x 11 inch baking pan
- In a large bowl whisk together the coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, eggs, and almond milk
- In a smaller bowl add the dry ingredients, coconut flour, baking soda and salt
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until its combined and the batter is smooth. Coconut flour is super absorbent, so this step won’t take too long
- Fold in chocolate – I used compound chocolate chips from Whole Foods
- Pour into baking pan
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. The batter may look like its not done, because it will still be gooey, but trust it is! Coconut flour over bakes pretty easily, so ensure you take it out on time.
- Wait a few minutes and then score the bars into 2 x 2 pieces and take them out onto a cooling rack
- Use a double boiler method to melt some chocolate – drizzle this onto the bars and add the shredded coconut
- Cool for a few minutes or enjoy them warm – perhaps with a scoop of dairy free coconut ice cream!